Happiness is only real when shared. I hope you're happy today.

Monday, August 6, 2012

The Best Chee Cheong Fun in Ipoh @ Jalan Pasir Pinji 5 (兵如港)

There's no food better than chee cheong fun. I am a chee cheong fun-fanatic.

In hunt for the best chee cheong fun in Ipoh, I decided to revisit the stall at Jalan Pasir Pinji 5. I vividly remember that my last visit was made about 5 years ago with my father. Oh, time really fly fast~ ~ ~


There's a Chinese idioms: 深藏不露 which perfectly describe the location of this stall. For people who have never been to 兵如港, it could be a bit difficult to find the stall, and yet it's strategically located near to 大树脚 and along Jalan Pasir Pinji 5. From the picture above, you can see that the road is quite narrow so you might not be able to park your car here.


The first thing you must absolutely do and quick is asking for queue number. Better yet, get your queue number before they set up their stall!!! A lot of customers do that, otherwise you will have to waittttttttttttttt for a really looooooooooooooooooooong time. Act smart by phone booking? SORRY, THEY DON'T HAVE A HOME PHONE. Your only option is to arrive early, get your queue number, and come back at a later time (WARNING: You could come back 1 hour later and still have to wait for your queue.)


The stall owner is a pair of husband and wife. The uncle isn't running the stall when I was there 5 years ago, it was runned by his wife. I guess the auntie has become too old, so her husband comes out to help reduce her burden. According to my mother (she used to live here), they used to steam chee cheong fun at the back of the house in the kitchen and sell them at the front many years ago.


I was inspired by a blogger that says chee cheong fun is best to eat with only soya sauce to taste its true-est and most original taste. So I ordered one with only soya sauce, another with only chili sauce, and the third with only sweet sauce 甜酱 (as shown below in order). 




My favorite of those three is the one with sweet sauce for one simple reason: I haven't taste the most original sweet sauce for ages and they have it! I almost drop a tear when putting it into my mouth (OK, a bit exaggerated). The taste is absolutely out-of-this-world. No bluffs.



See, even a 3 year-old kid like it so much. I am impressed how she used the chopsticks. LOL

FYI: They open for business every weekday except Wednesday and closed during weekends. 

2 comments:

Ken said...

never knew this, although i prefer Penang's style of Chee Cheong Fun but i don't mind trying this out whenever i go for the yong tau foo, thanks for the recommendation! :P

Calvin Lee said...

Only locals know the best! Haha, you should definitely give it a try =)